Thursday, January 27, 2011

Using Concierge Medicine

I've had the opportunity to use Dr. Griffin's services a few times since starting this blog. Remember, for $125 a month, I can see him as often as I need to. I've had a physical (total lab costs - $85), ear wax removal (think - when was the last time you went to a doctor for that - unless you have really, really good insurance that pays for everything), help from him to get me on a Patient Assistance Plan for my asthma medicine, a pre-cancerous lesion frozen off... and a visit for the sniffles... 


All of these visits were things I had put off doing when I had "insurance" since I had to hit a $3000 deductible before it paid for ANYTHING. No office co-pays on that one, so I would be hit with a bill for a couple hundred dollars every time I went to the doctor (my last dermatologist visit was an example of that). 


I even got a referral from him to a chiropractor... it remains to be seen whether Samaritan will pay for the chiro, but I've started a "need request" just in case. I may be able to come in on that one for just over the $300 minimum, so I may not even need help from the other members of Samaritan. I may wait till I have a real need... 


It's all good so far... I'm a relatively healthy person, so I don't anticipate using either the doctor or Samaritan all that much, but I'm glad to know they are there!

No comments:

Post a Comment