Friday, July 1, 2011

Not waiting for disaster

I'm not sure if other people with crazily high insurance deductibles do this, but when I was "insured" I would wait till I had a litany of problems to discuss with a doctor, then try to get help for all of them in the 15 minute appointment allotted to me (after waiting for up to an hour to see the doc).

Now, I call Dr. Griffin's office in the morning and say "I'm going to be down that way this afternoon. Can the doctor see me sometime after 2pm?" The answer is "sure - come at 3 - he'll be free then." Arrive at 2:52, chat with his assistant, get in his office at 3, explain three problems, get blood drawn, out by 3:30... done, and done. 

Dr. Griffin also has a patient portal on his site, so that when blood test results come back, I can see them online, securely and safely (HIPAA compliant, yadda, yadda). I can save them to my computer, print them, etc. 

Oh yes, and I found out my A1C blood sugar level fell almost one point in the last three months - low carb/no sugar diet - and I've lost 10 pounds. Life is good when you want to be healthy and have a supportive doc to help you get there!


No comments:

Post a Comment